TYPICAL INSTALLATION OF FAU IN
- Obtain the furnace manufacturers installation
instructions and install the furnace to their specifications.
- Establish the best location for installation
of forced air unit and vent.
- An attic in which a FAU is installed shall be
accessible by an opening and passageway 30" x 30" in size. Attic access may
be reduced to 22" x 30" provided the largest piece of equipment can be removed
through the opening.
- Install passageway platform minimum 24"
inches width and maximum 20 feet in length to FAU.
- Install working platform not less than 30" in
depth and width in front of the entire firebox side of the FAU.
- A permanent electric outlet and lighting
fixture controlled by a switch located at the required passageway opening
shall be provided at or near the furnace.
- Install vent, roof flashing and vent cap.
Double wall type "B" vent requires minimum 1" clearance to combustible
materials and requires a minimum 5' - 0" vent termination above the highest
vent collar it serves.
- A means shall be provided to disconnect the
FAU from the power source for servicing the appliance. See manufacturers
installation instructions for approved disconnect method.
- An approved shut off valve is required to be
installed at the gas piping outlet, immediately ahead of the flex connector,
and must be accessible.
on all new gas piping installed.
- Single wall vent connectors are not permitted
in an attic.